10.17.2005

Is any of this real...

I've been having these strange feelings lately...like is any of this real, or not?
That line (or something similar), as many of you might have been quick enough to figure out, is from an awesome game called Kingdom Hearts. Not only is it from a game, it is also the topic of the blog today!
There is this terrific and incredibly mind bending episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in which a demon injects Buffy with some sort of poison and she starts having these visions like she's in an insane asylum. If you've never seen Buffy before, then some background information is needed. Firstly Buffy is the "chosen" one, the one who is strong enough to kill the demons and vampires. Every generation (meaning that one slayer dies) another slayer is chosen. The slayer is a girl, obviously. When Buffy saw her first vampire she told her parents and they sent her to an insane asylum, and she says "When I didn't mention it again, they let me go." Now she lives in Sunnydale where she has these awesome friends that kick butt and conqure evil. Now, when she starts having these weird lapses where she's in this asylum, her parents are there and are telling her everything she is living is Sunnydale is a figment; her sister, her friends, her powers. They start to tell her that her friends are the ones that are dragging her into sunnydale again and again and it's making it hard for her to get healthy and come home with them. Buffy then tries to kill her friends by tying them down in the basement and setting a demon free on them. Just when the doctor is about to tell her she's healthy and that she was a good girl and took care of her friends, she decides what's really important and goes back to her friends in sunnydale, totally blocking out the idea of the asylum ever again.
This leads us to think, is any of this real, or not? Of course our lives aren't as fantastic as Buffy Summers the Vampire slayer, but it raises an interesting point. What if we're all insane? I know my life has been utterly amazing; going from one fantastic feat to another. Is this really real? I'm I even the age I am now? Some of you might argue that if you were going to imagine something, you would make it perfect, right? Best at everything, perhaps? In Buffy it isn't that way. In season six her friends dragged her out of what they thought was a hell demension, but she really was in heaven. That's CLEARLY not perfect, right? Maybe the trials we might 'imagine' are just things to tell us that this is real, and we really aren't dreaming it up in a white room strapped to a bed.

4 comments:

MRT said...

This reminds me of something I have always wondered about: What if all the people around me and all the experiences in my life are just figments of my imagination? What if I am really in a padded cell somewhere just dreaming all the rest of you up? Consider that for a while and you WILL end up in a padded cell!

Ashley said...

I love Buffy!!! What episode and season is that? That is an interesting thought. If this wansn't real, though, I'm not sure I'd be in your "reality".

Becca said...

Season six...the episode name slipped my mind.

Anonymous said...

Becca, you definatly bring up a very contraversal topic on my part, and once again I am eager to debate with you. I think that same thing every day but then come to the conclusion: I shouldnt care, why does it matter? It will all be alright in the end.