Think about the comments on your blog right now. How many of them are 'spam' comments. You know the ones that tell you to visit their blogs on how to make money quick or how to find singles online. They're really annoying and dumb. Should there be specific limits on how far this spamming, and the content of the World Wide Web as a whole, goes?
I think about the early days of my email address. I've had the same email since I was in first or second grade, so I've had if for at least seven years. Now, I used to get loads and loads of email 'spam' with inappropriate content and suggestive titles, and when you're seven years old you're bound to open one of those up be totally shocked at the things you see.
I really think it's wrong how spam like that is circulated around the internet. With junk mail filters and stuff like that nowadays, it's gotten a lot better, but it's still out there. They can target all ages, too! For instance, say a ten year old wants to be 'cool' and research the newest hot celebrity. They type in the name to the best of their ability on the search engine and wait for the results. There is probably a fairly high chance that some of the sites high on the list are porno sites. Have you ever tried to look up someone you know and get a bunch of spamo porn? It's disgusting! There should really be laws against porn coming up with certain keywords. I mean, I understand if you're actually searching for that kind of stuff, but when you're innocent and underage there is no excuse for the perpetrators when it pops up on your screen.
As I was searching the blogs, I noticed one spamo comment in particular on several people's blog. I won't give any names of the user because it's slipped my mind, but it features a racy picture as the avatar, and if you take a look at the profile, there are several sex related blogs that this user keeps. People should NOT be able to do that!! We are innocent students just trying to get some honors credit or trying to get into good colleges! We should not be punished with filthy JUNK like that infecting our blogs! It not only makes the user themselfs uncomfortable, but it endangers the parents right that have probably tried long and hard to keep it away from their child!
I also think that emails with innapropriate comments should have a category by themselves in the email system. For example, if an email has sexual content the sender of the email can put a red flag on it or something, and the user of the email will know that it is a bad email and won't open it. I think it makes it a lot easier then putting adult titles on the emails, because that just leads to odd questions asked by the child and it doesn't help anything!
I also think that some emails should require maybe a social number or something, because I know kids that lie on their age to get certain features. Back in the days of when I was first starting out with email, it used to be that you had to be 13 years or older to use the instant messenger feature. I don't think it's that way anymore, which is good, but kids still lie about their ages. If kids could put an acurate age when starting an account, the email service could block all adult email out. I don't think this will ever work, kids will always do as they want, there is no way to protect everyone.
There is no way to protect everyone, yes, but you should protect the innocent. The ones that are doing this for a project, the ones that unknowingly slipup upon some bad site, kids that are to little to know what anything means, and esspecially services like blogger where something like this COULD be stopped. Protect the Youth of the Nation.
10.04.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I believe if you put word verification on your comment you can avoid all those spammers!
I really enjoy your blog, I will definitely put this in my favorites. I'll be back often!
Come see mine sometime.... http://djshawn112.blogspot.com
Good blog Becca! I hate spam, with a passion! It really is sad how much crap there is out there.
djshawn: erm...thanks! I just did that! ;)
Lizzy: you're awesome lizzy! Lovin' your blog too.
Post a Comment