12.05.2005

Christmas Spirit

I temporarally took my last entry offline because I thought it was too personal--and heaven forbid that I actually show some emotion! The truth is that I wrote it at two in the morning when I was having when of those scared attacks and wasn't doing my best. Now, for the replacement entry.
I'm not trying to be unoriginal here, but Christmas is one of my FAVORITE things in the whole world, and I thought I dang well better dedicate a single entry to it, even if a million people have already. What I am trying to do here though, is prove my fellow honors student wrong. Ren, as most of you have read, wrote that he thinks christmas is overrated. Later on he wrote a slight reproach of his entry, because everyone was ganging up on him. In this blog entry he said that "Pessimism is king." I'm going to totally destroy that thought by writing a KILLER entry about how much I love christmas. In otherwords, I'm going to write an optimistic view on christmas.

Christmas is a word superior to all at my house. My mom is the biggest fan of Christmas on the Earth and one word couldn't bring more excitment to her darling little face. Her love of this holiday has spread through her kids and everyone she has touched the life of.
One of the best Christmas I have experienced in my life thus far is when my mom decided that she was really going to impact someone's life. At this point in my life my mom was working as a shelver at Maceys in the middle of the night because of some financial troubles. This alone touched my life but she didn't want to stop there.
A young lady that she worked with was the bacon bringer at her house. Seeing as she worked in the middle of the night at Maceys shelving food, it wasn't enough to provide food for her developing family AND by Christmas presents. Her husband had actually gotten recently layed off, so this $6.50 an hour for four or so hours was there ONLY income. My mom, being the natural claus that she was decided that she wanted to help this woman out. A family going without christmas was like a family going without food to her. A couple days before christmas, my mother, and several others she got involved at her work, brought big shopping baskets full of christmas presents for the woman's family and presented them to her. The woman was so greatful that she started to sob, the thought of her children going without christmas saddened her, but the thought that people cared about her well-being more than she thought was the ultimate gift. My mother provided a christmas for those kids, and just hearing the story touches my heart and makes me realize how important giving is.
For years my sister has sung her heart out at stores all over the state to encourage people to donate toys and money to Toys For Tots. When she heard that there is usually a lack of gifts for teenagers in the family she was upset. Usually in these low income families teens are responsible! They usually either get jobs and provide money, or raise the kids. Them going without christmas was horrible, they should deserve one day where they can just be a kid. My sister started a project called Toys For Teens. She sings all over the state still, but in places where gifts for teens are common. It is a yearly event taken place over several months, and she raises thousands of dollars in gifts for the children that act more like adults. This is what we should be doing at Christmas at times.
There are a few, I won't deny it, that take Christmas as a time to get presents, not give presents. The best thing to do at christmas time is to give--esspecially to those most in need. Christmas lights and music warm spirits and touch people's hearts. It is NOT overrated--just look at all the people that are truely making a difference in people's LIVES durring Christmas. If you think Christmas lights, music, and other festivities are overrated than you should take a good look at the people that really make an impact in people's life. My sister starts Toys for Teens MONTHS before thanksgiving, and my mother is excited and shopping for christmas year round. These people are not to be looked down upon. Think about what Christmas brings when it comes; happiness and joy. A thougt of peace around the globe (at least to the Christain Community) Trying to spread peace and joy around the world is not something to frown at. Next time you look at people that try to bring the christmas spirit earlier in the year think about how you can raise the chrismas spirit, and how chrismas as a whole makes you feel. Don't judge and especailly dislike people that trying to spread love, not crap.
Thank You

No comments: