I was working on some other homework, trying to figure out what to write for my last 250 something words for this week when I noticed the date, September, 11. Four years ago there was a tragedy, but that tragedy pulled us as a nation closer together.
Where was I four years ago? I remember that day like the back of my hand. I was in fifth grade, spectrum student going to this school called Cook Elementary because I decided to do spectrum as soon as I entered 5th grade and spectrum at my original school was full. Anyway, my mom and dad had to work and a woman from my neighborhood agreed to pick me up and drive me to this school about 15 minutes away. I got into her car and we drove a while before she turned up the radio and informed me on what she thought was a "drunk pilot" that was "driving to low in the air". We really had no idea what was going on, I though it was awful but almost cast it aside anyway. I was anxious to get to school and talk to the other kids about what had happened, since I was completely and utterly clueless.
When I got to school, and at my school you had to wait outside until the five minute bell rang, I saw a group of my classmates huddled around the door discussing what was going on. I told them what my neighbor had told me, for we all had no idea the truth of this event. Soon, the history 'geek' in our class arived and rushed over to us, telling us the news. We were stunned into silence, unable to talk but still able to cry. We saw as tears streamed down ours and our peer's faces in complete horror of what we had learned. The five minute bell rang, and in silence we all walked to class.
I disliked my teacher that year with a passion, and she knew it, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for her as she bawled and shook her head as she watched the TV screen, unmoving. She told us as she wept that her daughter was getting on a plane that day, from Boston where the terrorists had taken off. She was terrified that her daughter wouldn't be alright.
We continued with our lessons that day, although we were all tearstained and didn't even THINK of going to recess, instead we stayed inside and watched the news. We had long indepth dicussions of what was to happen, what we should do. Some thought this wasn't for real, that what we were watching on the screen and heard on the radio was just some...cruel joke. It wasn't, it was too real infact To real for our fifth grade minds to comprehend.
Now that I'm older and more mature I realize how devistating it was for me as a young child. But in a way, it has helped me mature and become more aware of what the world is really like. It makes me strive to help countries in the world that experience this EVERYDAY. We are truely blessed to live in a nation where we are so fortunate that it completely devistates us when an event like that happens. And, we are truely blessed that we live in a country, where in time of trouble we unite together and join as one again, and help heal our wounds and make us stronger. E pluribus unum, no phrase could discribe our country better.
9.11.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Becca, You are so awesome. You have a great blog. I'm sure Mr. T. will lurve it.
Thanks guys! Comments are much appriciated :D!! I've never got comments before!! *Wipes tear and blows kiss*
I feel so left out not having a comment! It really is a wonderful piece of writing, and I can't wait for the rest of them!
Post a Comment